Jakarta, INTI - Ministry of Communication and Digital Affairs of Indonesia (Komdigi) plans to expand restrictions on digital access for children under the age of 16 to additional social media platforms and online applications, following earlier measures implemented on X Corp., Bigo Technology, Instagram, Facebook, Threads, TikTok, YouTube, and Roblox Corporation.
Minister of Communication and Digital Affairs, Meutya Viada Hafid, stated that other digital platforms are currently submitting self-assessments regarding the level of risk their features and applications may pose to children.
“We are beginning to expand the policy beyond the initial eight platforms to include other digital platforms as well,” she said during a working meeting with Commission I of the House of Representatives on Monday, May 18, 2026.
Meutya explained that the restrictions are part of the government’s broader effort to strengthen child protection in digital spaces. She emphasized that threats to national resilience could begin with the younger generation.
PP Tunas Sets New Standards for Digital Platform Compliance
The policy is based on Government Regulation No. 17 of 2025 concerning the Governance of Electronic System Operations for Child Protection (PP Tunas), which came into effect on March 28, 2026.
“After the President signed PP Tunas, we immediately implemented it through ministerial regulations. So far, the eight platforms we prioritized earlier have submitted compliance reports and clearly explained their efforts to deactivate underage accounts,” she said.
The ministry has given all digital platforms until June 6 to complete their self-assessment process. The assessment is intended to map the level of risk posed by digital platforms to children, including social media, online games, and marketplace applications.
Meutya stressed that all platforms covered under PP Tunas must comply with the regulation no later than June 6.
“All platforms, including gaming platforms, will be subject to the same regulations,” she said while responding to questions from journalists regarding whether game chat features would be removed for users under 16 during a press conference in Jakarta on April 30.
Under the PP Tunas regulation, chat features categorized as high-risk will not be permitted for children under 16 years old. Meutya added that the results of each platform’s self-assessment will be reviewed directly by the ministry.
Conclusion
Ministry of Communication and Digital Affairs of Indonesia (Komdigi) is strengthening efforts to create a safer digital environment for children by expanding restrictions on underage access to social media, gaming, and other digital platforms. Through the implementation of PP Tunas and mandatory platform self-assessments, the government aims to increase digital accountability while ensuring stronger protection for young users in Indonesia’s evolving online ecosystem.
Read more: Ministry of Communication and Digital Affairs of Indonesia: Nickel and Silica Position Indonesia for a Bigger Role in the Global AI Industry